Saturday 26 March 2011

My Mum

Today would have been my Mum's 85th birthday. I loved my mum...in fact I still do. She invested so much in me. So much time, teaching, love, wisdom and so many prayers I know were said for me and my brothers. She was a true inspiration and I miss her loads.


She didn't have an easy life although she never complained. In the 44 years I knew my mum she never had loads of money. She never owned her own property, she didn't drive, but you know what, she was happy. We were happy as a family. Mum kind of held us all together if you know what I mean. She was my rock, someone I could always go to, to off load and chat things through. There was a gentle inner peace about her and yet it wasn't wise to cross her either! After I got married and moved down south I would ring her most days for a chat to catch up on what we were both up to. I miss that.

Mum and Dad had a happy marriage although it had its difficulties. My eldest brother Peter was born the same year as Prince Charles. A very special day. Then Mum had a miscarriage and two more baby boys who both died in the 8 years before Alan was born. Also a very special day.Then I came along another 7 years later 19th November 1963. The only girl and also very special.

15 weeks later my Dad died of a heart attack very suddenly. And then we were four. Although I never knew my Dad I heard numerous stories about his sense of humour, his faith, the way he would torment my Auntie who he treated like a true sister and the love that he showed us all as his family.

So Mum was left with 3 children ranging from 15 years to 15 weeks and no money or insurances to pay out lump sums of money. My eldest brother Peter went out to work at 15 and would bring home his wages and give them to Mum. He took on the father role as best he could and I will be eternally grateful for all he did then, and as I was growing up to help me have a normal childhood.

We as a family will be eternally grateful for the love and support we received from our extended family. My Gran and Auntie who I can never remember not being there for us. They helped out with childcare and financially when they could but mostly it was just knowing they were there for us that counted.
My two godmothers Auntie Jean and Auntie Dorothy and Uncle Fred her husband, were also very much part of our family and I loved them all so much too.

Mum had a very strong faith and never doubted where she was going or whether God existed. I never remember her saying life wasn't fair or that she didn't deserve the suffering she had to deal with. She had a love of poetry and reading which she shared with us as children, reciting poems to us. Later in life she couldn't quite remember all the words but her love for them never died. She would sometimes recite hymns instead of singing them and that brought a whole new meaning to them.

Every time Mum visited me in Bracknell we would spend some time at the church bookshop so she could have a browse and would inevitably purchase more than one book before she went home. Some of her favourites were Patience Strong and Fiona Castle. We would often suggest books for one another to read, and discuss what we'd read. I miss that too.

Throughout my growing up Mum was in and out of hospital with numerous operations and yet she was a very strong woman. Her faith upheld her and love oozed out of her. She would always support me in my ventures. She'd let me have a go at decorating, gardening, cooking.....even though the results might not have been to the best of standards she let me try.

I can remember one such occasion when Alan was out in Sierra Leone teaching as a missionary and he came home on leave to witness the amateur job I'd done of papering a wall in the dining room. He was horrified and re did it as soon as possible!!! However Mum had encouraged me to have a go and had complimented me on my efforts.

Mum and Auntie were faithful supporters of me and my musical endeavours and would attend every concert possible. They were the only audience at one such event and yet were as enthusiastic in there support and applause as if the auditorium had been full!!

I feel very blessed to have had such a loving Mum and such a loving family. I know God had his hand on our lives and even though she suffered tragedy and pain in her life Mum knew God was her God and that He loved her without question. A true inspiration and a lovely lady.

Happy Birthday Mum

xxx

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for pointing me to your blog Sandra! My mom's birthday was this month to - she'd have been 84, and it was the first birthday since she passed away, though really she didn't even know it was her birthday last year. Thank you for sharing such special memories. It's good to remember and reflect. I'm glad my mom's with Jesus and not in pain anymore, but sometimes I just want to pick up the phone and call her, just to say I love her. Praying for you - Geri xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!xx It is good to remember and to reflect. I always remember my Mum and Dad especially on their birthdays and anniversary. Take care dear Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete